By Mark Scott
Buffalo, NY – The annual Catholic Charities Appeal is still the "drive that never fails." The appeal ended Sunday night topping its $10.5 million goal. That's a 2.4 percent increase over last year's goal.
Diocesan director of Catholic Charities, Fr. Joseph Sicari, says this year's appeal was helped by a number of first-time donors. He expressed his gratitude to all those who donated.
"Ninety-seven percent of our pledges are made good on," Fr. Sicari said. "So we know that people are going to come forward and honor those pledges for the sake of the Western New York community."
Despite a struggling local economy, Western New Yorkers made their commitment to the annual appeal drive.
The money raised supports more than 60 programs and services. Last year more than 175,000 people received assistance from Catholic Charities.