By Eileen Buckley
Buffalo, NY – One of the attorneys with Citizens for a Better Buffalo is not surprise that city leaders are now raising concerns over the planned Seneca Buffalo Creek Casino.
"Once again the City of Buffalo is a victim of rump backwards policy making," said Attorney Joseph Finnerty.
Finnerty says the most significant event that has occurred since Citizens for a Better Buffalo filed two lawsuits against the Seneca Nation earlier this year is the change in attitude among some local leaders. In recent weeks, flags have been raised as city leaders learned that the Seneca's business filing with the SEC revealed that the downtown casino would draw its customers from Buffalo and its suburbs, not from outside the region. Finnerty says it is clear that city leaders failed to due their homework.
"I think the more people that know about this planned deal, the more people that are going to come around, as you are seeing with the Common Council, mayor and county executive," Finnerty said.
Just last week, Erie County Executive Joel Giambra said the county is joining the lawsuits. That was one day after Sabres owner Tom Golisano voiced strong opposition against the casino. But Seneca president Barry Snyder is not concerned about the mounting opposition.
"I don't answer to Joel Giambra. I don't answer to Tom Golisano," Snyder said. "This is between two leaders -- the mayor of Buffalo and leader of the Seneca Nation."
Finnerty says Citizens for a Better Buffalo believes the relationship between the city and Seneca's will never be prosperous.
"At the heart of the relationship is a cancerous gambling casino that will suck the life and heart out of the city," Finnerty said.
The Seneca leader told reporters Wednesday, that with or without city support the casino will be constructed. Finnerty called that a "back of the hand" attitude toward Buffalo. He says sovereignty is not a license, but a responsibility.